Monday, March 06, 2006

The haunting Katie Melua

[Inspired by the ubiquity of the enchanting singer-songstress Katie Melua.]



The first time Katie appeared to me,
She was old and draped in blue.
"My child," she croaked, "I have walked this Earth
Since 1892.
Can you lift the curse that forbids my rest
For my time long ago passed me by?"
"Don't think so," I said, and she nodded her head.
"Oh well, it was worth a try."

Three years disappeared and to tell you the truth,
I never once gave her a thought.
'Til a song on TV in a sofa sale ad made me realise
That she had been bought.
But could I have hindered this desolate fate
If only I'd purchased her CD?
"Not sure," I decided, when all in a flash
She was shimmering in front of me.

"Melua why I was just thinking of you,"
I offered unconvincingly.
Her youth now restored, she was handsome and taut
With hair that shone gloriously.
"Your mistake," she intoned, "could have cost me my life
But instead it worked out rather well.
I am younger and richer than ever before
And have shaken that strange musty smell."

"Good for you," I replied as sincere as I could
Before making a dash for the door.
But Katie was quick and with one mighty kick
Sent me crashing down onto the floor.
"My second CD is much better," she said,
"It's laidback and tuneful and clever."
"Don't give me that, you still work with Mike Batt,"
I screamed as she skinned me for leather.

No comments: