Sunday, March 26, 2006

The Bee

[This bee-inspired poem/song recently turned up at a jumble sale in Crawley, allegedly written by Robert Smith of The Cure*]


Today I spent an hour or three
Staring at a picture of a bee
It made me feel so happy inside.
Yellow black and buzzy
Making lots of honey
With no need to worry or hide.

I'd like to spend my hours
Rooting around in pretty flowers
Then flying home to service my queen.
Oh what a mighty buzz
Living in a healthy hive of love
A cog in one big busy bee machine.

Though I'm sure bees have their problems
Just like every living thing
Such as dying prematurely
When they use their only sting.
The dark threat of fumigation
And horrific nectar costs
Or bearing all the blame and shame
Of trouble caused by wasps.

What I think I'm trying to say
Is if I leave this heartless world today
I'm willing to return in bee form.
Collecting lots of pollen
From a field in Holland
And swearing my allegiance to the swarm.

Can't you see it's killing me?
I'm droning for the colony
I just want to be
A bee...



[*obviously it didn't really]


1 comment:

Fantastic Forrest said...

Your poem rocks! I found it tonight and shared the link to it over at The Desk of Bee Drunken's in the comments today.

Loved your claim it was found in a jumble sale. It cracked me up.